Translate

sbartist : painting in the dark Headline Animator

Monday, December 3, 2012

Manic Artist Monday - Salvador Dali


Welcome to "Manic Artist Monday" where I will share some interesting tidbits on some of the great masters in art history. Today's selection was picked by my husband {who is not creatively inclined}. I explained to him my objective and I asked him who fit this description and without hesitation said "DALI". 

Above is an altered book page that I created for a round-robin in my local altered book club. I drew this portrait depicting a peeling head of Salvador Dali - a "TWIST" on how I envision Dali viewed the world through his Surrealist eyes. A pen and ink illustration set amonst the scenery from Dali's masterpiece, "Persistance of Memory" colored in Caran D'Ache Neopastel colors.


The inspiration for these posts is an interesting book that I picked up at the bookstore a while back entitled "Secret Lives of Great Artists" by Elizabeth Lunday. This quirky book is not your ordinary art history book - it has outrageous anecdotes and seamy tales of the great masters. I have written to the publisher about sharing excerpts from the book.

Salvador Dali, referred to by most as "Madman". Some would argue. Yes Dali was a man - am man who was "MAD". I don't think he was crazy - but he was pretty angry. You would be too if your parents brought you up as you were a sibling that had passed on and deprived of your identity and name you exactly the same. I love Salvador Dali, not only was he a visionary as a surrealist painter, extremely imaginative and he also was a showman and loved making a spectacle of himself in a grandiose fashion. His paintings are impeccably painted depicting futuristic subject matter that defies gravity and makes you stop and think.


I have read his diary "Salvador Dali : Diary of a Genius" and was captivated by how methodical he actually was. This book was based on a 10 year period and instruction was left for more diaries to be printed after a certain time after his death. I am waiting on the edge of my seat to read more. I have been to the Dali Museum once, but not as long as I would have liked. My husband is my travel adventure companion and is very open and receptive to the arts, but I won't bore him with an all day tour with the museum Docents. Very soon I'm planning a return visit with my BFF who also adores Dali so that we can get the full "Surreal" experience. 

I share a few of my favorite quotes by Dali - I think they are pretty profound and would be pretty great in my art journal, too.

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings."

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."

"Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility
of cheating. It is either good or bad."

If you would like to know more about Salvador Dali, CLICK HERE to read his wikipedia entry.

I hope you find this interesting, intriguing and inspiring. I will feature another artist next week for the next installment MANIC ARTIST MONDAY. Have a great week! 
:) Sb



3 comments:

  1. Love your peeling Dali! I've always admired his work. Have you ever seen his episode of 'What's my line?' It cracks me up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXT2E9Ccc8A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra that was so funny - I burst out laughing when he answered yes to the question "are you a performer?". Thanks for sharing - loved it :)

      Delete
  2. This is so fascinating. I do not know much about Dali and probably only recognize one or two pieces of his work, but I love the 'melting' clock you referenced in your artwork. The peeling twist is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

throwing some paint at me...

"Art must be indescribable and inimitable..." – Pierre Auguste Renoir

Please Observe the Fine Print...

All Photos & Designs displayed on this blog are copyright ©2007-2018 Susan M. Brown/sbartist or the artist or company credited in the post. Please do not use images or designs without written permission...message all requests to sbartist1107 at yahoo {dot} com. Thank You & Think GREEN : )